Sunday, July 11, 2010

Appearance this weekend - Flagstaff Celtic Festival

APPEARANCE! - July 17th – FLAGSTAFF CELTIC FESTIVAL!

Owing to the knee surgery, I’m not going many places in June and July. One exception, though, is the Flagstaff Celtic Festival, which is held on the 17th and 18th of this month, at Foxglenn Park.

This increasingly popular festival features “heavy events” (caber-tossing, hammer-throwing, etc.) and Highland Dance, as well as bag-piping, music by popular Scottish performers, whisky-tasting (and beer-drinking), and the odd special event, such as me.

Now, the Festival does run two days, but I’ll be there ONLY on the 17th, this Saturday. I’ll be doing a reading at 1 PM (readings and performances are usually either _in_ the beer tent, or close by), and will be signing books (which will be available for sale) for a couple of hours afterward.

What will I be reading? No idea, but there _might_ be a few pieces of Book Eight, picking up cliffhangers from ECHO [g]—and/or bits from new short pieces featuring Roger MacKenzie’s parents, or Young Ian’s brother Michael. Or, just possibly, a few bits from LORD JOHN AND THE SCOTTISH PRISONER. Whatever it is, it’ll probably be interesting—or at least I hope so. [g]

See you there!

[For further information, see www.nachs.info, the website of the Northern Arizona Celtic Heritage Society, sponsor of the Festival.]

18 comments:

  1. For those of us for whom flying to Arizona is a bit cost prohibitive, will any/all of these excerpts be making their way to the website in the near (or even not so near) future? Please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear anonymous--

    Some of 'em will, sure. We're in process of completely redesigning and overhauling the website (which badly needs it), and I'll certainly put up new excerpts when that's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish i could go!!! Best wishes in your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo, lucky AZ folks!

    I hope your knee is healing well, Diana! :)

    Hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky enough to hear you read AND get a picture with you at the Flagstaff Celtic Festival 2008. Wish I could go again this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Judie--

    Doing pretty well, so far, thanks!

    This IS me, btw. I can't imagine why, but the system has suddenly started demanding I enter a profile, but then not letting me type in a name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a release date for the next book??

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could go too. Have fun Diana. Please share pictures with us when you get back.

    Wan

    ReplyDelete
  9. The next book is the graphic novel, titled THE EXILE. It'll be out Sept. 21, this year (i.e., in about two and a half months!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will see you there. Looking forward to seeing and hearing you and to the whiskey tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. any chance you will be at the Colorado Scottish Festival--Aug 14/15? We're not *too* terribly far away from Arizona! Hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so jealous. Come to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow the Celtic Festival sounds exciting!....I'm just curious...do you/have you ever come to Chicago for readings or signings or events?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I won't be in Colorado--I'll be in Scotland [g] in August. And yes, the publisher often does send me to the Chicago area on book-tours. (Don't _think_ I'll be there for THE EXILE tour, though--that's a short one.) No, they never have sent me to Texas; lack of big independent bookstores would be my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diana:
    I just discovered that you'll be in Scotland at the same time I will be there! I picked up a Scottish magazine in preparation for our upcoming trip and saw the advertisement of the Celtic Journeys tour that includes a dinner with none other that Diana Gabaldon at Culloden House! I'm so jealous and wished I had known of the tour before I booked the one I'm on! Do you participate in these tours often? Would love to hook up with one in the future.
    At any rate, will see you this weekend in Flagstaff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw your interview in Entertainment Weekly and am so excited for you!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. While you're in Winston-Salem, maybe you should visit the Historic Bethabara Park Moravian Medical Garden, recreated as it was in 1760 or so by Dan Johnson, Ph.D., very knowledgeable. Claire might have visited and got some plants from it. It's north of downtown probably less than 10 miles. Looking forward to seeing you at Bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete